Managerial CommunicationBack to Course Guide
The course explores the relationship between management and communication, providing students with the skills to improve their organizational communication skills. Topics include effective application of managerial and communication skills, motivational theories, and the importance of communication skills in a global environment.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Analyzing the communication styles of successful managers.
- Identifying barriers to managerial communication and suggesting solutions for these problems.
- Understanding the channels of interpersonal communication.
- Ascertaining how personalities affect communication.
- Differentiating among trait, situational, and functional leadership.
- Explaining how communication styles affect the work place.
- Comparing managerial theories and determining their strengths and weaknesses.
- Summarizing motivational theories.
- Listing sources of power within the organization and suggesting ways to improve personal power.
- Determining how to build stronger relationships between management and employees.
- Determining how to build stronger relationships with colleagues.
- Exploring how ethics affect communication.
- Interpreting how the employee’s and the manager’s values affect communication.
- Examining methods of solving conflict and dealing with difficult people in the workplace.
- Developing a life plan for effective organizational communication.