Project Human Resources and Communication ManagementBack to Course Guide
The course covers the processes required to make effective use of people involved with a project. Stakeholders include: sponsors, customers, individuals, contributors. In addition, the course covers processes required to ensure timely and appropriate generation, collection, dissemination, storage and ultimate disposition of project information. Major topics include those typically covered by the Project Management Institute Human Resource Management and Communication Management Examinations.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Discussing the forms of organizations and the impact of organizational structures on the manager- employee relationship.
- Understanding and discussing the roles and responsibilities of the project manager, project team, and project management team.
- Understanding project HR management processes, tools and techniques in the context of planning, acquiring, developing and managing the project team.
- Discussing the types of power and ways that power can be used both positively and negatively.
- Understanding how to manage conflict effectively including various techniques and methods available for project managers.
- Discussing the personnel issues that can and do arise within the organization including the effective and proper use of performance appraisals.
- Discussing the importance of training, career planning, productivity, and teamwork.
- Discussing motivation and rewards including how they may be used effectively.
- Discussing specific motivation and hygiene theories including: Maslow, Herzberg, Douglas McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y.
- Discussing the importance of proper resource allocation and coordination.
- Discussing the various components of the communication process and channels.
- Discussing various communication barriers versus effective communication.
- Discussing formal versus informal communications.
- Discussing traits and proper usage of different kinds of communication.
- Discussing the organizational climate and its impact on communication.
- Discussing the role of the project in effective communication.
- Discussing the importance of feedback in communication.
- Discussing the importance of communicating with customers and the usage of appropriate methods.