Computer Concepts and Internet TechnologyBack to Course Guide
The course presents activities that validate successful use of personal computers in a telecommunications-learning environment. The course emphasizes the practical applications of educational communications. Skills gained are essential for advanced on-line learning.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Demonstrating a working vocabulary of personal computer hardware and basic Internet terms.
- Identifying and discussing the internal components of the personal computer.
- Describing the various operating systems of the personal computer.
- Installing and evaluating commercially available software applications.
- Demonstrating the ability to communicate via the Internet using e-mail.
- Demonstrating the ability to manage file attachments to Internet e-mail.
- Demonstrating the ability to investigate and evaluate specific systems available for accessing the Internet in a given location.
- Demonstrating the ability to do research via the Internet and applying research skills in reporting.
- Demonstrating the ability to apply basic OS skills relative to general file management on a personal computer.
- Demonstrating the ability to manage the processes of extracting compressed files.
- Discussing the meaning and merits of a computer firewall.
- Demonstrating a working knowledge of the Windows operating systems.
- Performing file management functions used in the daily operations of personal computers.
- Using commercially available software packages.
- Discussing how to select personal computer software and hardware.
- Discussing how to service and maintain personal computers.
- Identifying communications software, hardware, and services available for personal computers.
- Discussing networking of personal computers.
- Evaluating the latest peripherals available for personal computers.
- Describing the latest advancements in personal computer technology.
- Discussing how to apply personal computer technology and applications in a work environment.