Master of Science in Family Studies with a Specialization in Christian Counseling
Degree Plan Details
The Master of Science in Family Studies with a Specialization in Christian Counseling is an interdisciplinary degree from the fields of Christian Counseling, Counseling and Human Behavior and Development, offered in both classroom lecture and distance learning modes, emphasizing family life education. Graduates will provide prevention, enrichment, and education on the family and its interaction with other social systems in a wide range of organizations. Because the subject of family studies is such a universal topic, there is a wealth of organizations designed to deal with family issues. Career opportunities include social service agencies, religious institutions, parent education programs, juvenile services, day care facilities, foster care programs, and retirement and/or assisted living facilities.
A graduate with a Master of Science in Family Studies with a Specialization in Christian Counseling will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the dynamics of the family system and its interaction with larger social systems including schools, communities, and society.
- Describe and apply the theories, principles, and practices of family life education.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical issues and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct relevant research appropriate to the discipline.
The minimum requirements for a Master of Science in Family Studies with a Specialization in Christian Counseling are:
- 24 semester hours applicable to the degree must be completed at Amberton University.
- 36 semester hours for a degree.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 is required.
|I. Required Graduate Studies||6 Hours|
|RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods||3 hours|
|RGS6036 Ethics for Decision Making||3 hours|
|II. Major Course Requirements||18 Hours|
|CSL6801 Life Span Development||3 hours|
|CSL6765 Crisis Counseling||3 hours|
|HBD6767 Family Studies||3 hours|
|HBD6768 Aging & End of Life Issues||3 hours|
|HBD6769 Human Sexuality||3 hours|
|HBD6771 Conflict Management & Resolution||3 hours|
|III. Christian Counseling Specialization||9 hours|
|CSL6720 Christian Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6730 Family Life Ministry||3 hours|
|CSL6860 Practical Experience Christian Counseling||3 hours|
|IV. Specialization Elective||3 hours|
|One of the following courses:|
|CSL6782 Theories & Methods of Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6825 Marriage & Family Therapy||3 hours|
|CSL6740 Counseling Ethics||3 hours|
|CSL6832 Multicultural Counseling||3 hours|