Master of Arts in School Counseling
Degree Plan Details
The Master of Arts (M.A.) in School Counseling prepares students to satisfy academic requirements for the Professional School Counseling Certification in the State of Texas. Graduates will be counselors, academic advisors and advocates who create conditions of academic achievement for children in public and private schools. This degree is available only to those students who satisfy the teaching experience as required by the State Board for Educator Certification (S.B.E.C.). The program is comprised of forty-five (45) graduate hours and includes a minimum of 160 practicum hours. Students completing this degree and passing the TExES examination for School Counseling are eligible for employment as a school counselor in an educational setting. Students must satisfy the teaching experience requirement prior to entering CSL6855 Practicum School Counseling. The program is offered in the campus- based, classroom, lecture mode only.
A graduate with a Master of Arts in School Counseling will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the functional areas of school counseling to implement a guidance program in a school setting.
- Apply critical thinking skills to student services and academic achievement issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues within school counseling settings.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct relevant research appropriate to the discipline.
The minimum requirements for a Master of Arts in School Counseling are:
- 33 semester hours applicable to the degree must be completed at Amberton University.
- 45 semester hours for a degree.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 is required.
|I. Required Graduate Studies:||3 Hours|
|RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods||3 hours|
|II. Major Requirements||39|
|CSL6745 School Counseling Ethics||3 hours|
|CSL6779 Counseling in Schools||3 hours|
|CSL6782 Theories/Methods in Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6800 Counseling Assessment||3 hours|
|CSL6801 Life Span Development||3 hours|
|CSL6803 Career Counseling/Guidance||3 hours|
|CSL6805 Group Counseling/Therapy||3 hours|
|CSL6830 Advanced Counseling Skills & Techniques||3 hours|
|CSL6832 Multicultural Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6833 Counseling Children & Adolescents||3 hours|
|CSL6829 Pre-Practicum:School Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6855 Practicum School Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6857 Advanced School Counseling Practicum||3 hours|
|III. Counseling Elective||3 hours|