STUDENT ADVISOR –
A positive attitude and passion for our students is everything at Amberton University! We are looking for an energetic and experienced professional who enjoys working with a team and has a heart to serve our population of mature professional students by delivering top-notch customer service, offering administrative support, and providing guidance for prospective and current students.
General Overview of Position
Must be able to work days, evenings and some Saturdays
Reports To: Director of Student Services
General Statement of Duties:
- Provide specific support for student recruitment, retention, admission and advising for both new and returning students by communicating and interpreting University academic programs, course offerings, and enrollment procedures
- Train and mentor newly hired part-time student advisors
- Assist in the recruitment process to attract new students as needed
- Utilize the University’s programs and systems to proactively contact prospective and current students to facilitate the enrollment process
- Effectively communicate with students in-person, over the phone, and through email while maintaining a professional and positive tone at all times
- Provide general administrative and clerical support for office processes and procedures related to registration and student payments
- Utilize University software and programs effectively to access data, answer questions, respond to student inquiries
- Work with the Director for Student Services and other Student Advisors in the processing and certification of F-1 International students and VA students
- Participate in each session's Information Session for new students
- Assist students with accessing various University provided online accounts
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong foundation in student advising, enrollment, and knowledge of academic programs is highly preferred
- Effective customer service techniques and practices via phone, online, or in-person
- Microsoft office programs, email, and general use of computers and databases
Skills & Attitude Required:
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and be able to effectively interact with professional adult students in all kinds of situations, yet maintain professionalism with a positive attitude and supportive tone at all times
- Must have a high degree of self-directedness, follow-through with both students and in carrying out University initiatives and/or events
- Ability to learn and maintain a strong command of the University’s degree program offerings, admission and registration processes, policies and procedures, and guide students through the process, as well as, stay abreast of new academic programs and how that impacts advising
- Communication and interpersonal skills must be of the highest professional quality, both orally and in writing.
- A coachable attitude, ability to apply constructive feedback, strive to improve is a must
- A flexible and adaptable attitude is also needed as we adjust to student needs and grow as a University
- Collaborative skills and working well with both staff and students in such a way that creates a positive work environment
- Must be able to multitask and work on several projects at one time and meet specfied deadlines
- Must be able to effectively deal with students and co-workers from diverse backgrounds
- Must be able to effectively carry out general administrative and clerical tasks, which may include, but are not limited to the use of MS Office software, information databases, email, handling phone inquiries, etc.
- Bachelors’ Degree required
Required Work Experience:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in advising and enrollment, or have a higher education background
- Candidates with extensive direct-customer service experience can still be considered in lieu of an advising or enrollment background
General Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Include usual office conditions with day, evening and weekend work as needed to meet University needs.
- Must provide own transportation to and from work and to other locations as related to work assignments.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling. Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Commitment To Christian Faith:
All Amberton University employees are to be committed to a belief in Christianity and the beliefs taught in the New Testament of the Bible. While Amberton is non-denominational, its Christian commitment does recognize its unique role in education and believes that the principles of Christianity and academic excellence run parallel, not perpendicular.
To be considered, submit via email all of the following documentation: (1) employment application, (2) resume, (3) cover letter, (4) a list of 3 references with current phone and email contact information via email to:
Dr. Brent Bradshaw, Vice President for Administrative Services
OR via mail:
ATTN: Dr. Brent Bradshaw
Vice President for Administrative Services
1700 Eastgate Drive
Garland, TX 75041
Amberton University is an Equal Opportunity Employer