Student Services - Part-Time Advisor
General Overview of Job:
A positive attitude and passion for our students is everything at Amberton University! We are looking for an energetic professional who enjoys working with a team and has a heart to serve our population of mature professional students by delivering top-notch customer service, offering administrative support, and providing guidance for prospective and current students
- Location: Garland Campus
- Hours: Part-Time/Hourly: Up to, but not to exceed, 20 hours per week. Must be able to work days, evenings ,or Saturdays
- Reports To: Director of Student Services
General Statement of Duties:
- Provide specific support for student recruitment, retention, admission and advising for both new and returning students by communicating and interpreting University academic programs, course offerings, and enrollment procedures
- Effectively communicate with students in-person, over the phone, and through email while maintaining a professional and positive tone at all times
- Provide general administrative and clerical support for office processes and procedures related to registration and student payments
- Utilize University software and programs effectively to access data, answer questions, and respond to student inquiries in a timely manner
- Other duties as assigned
- Effective customer service techniques and practices via phone, online, or in-person
- Microsoft office programs, email, and general use of computers and databases
- Preferred, but not required: Familiarity with college admissions, student enrollment, and academic programs is a plus
Skills & Attitude Required:
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and be able to effectively interact with professional adult students in all kinds of situations, yet maintain professionalism with a positive attitude and supportive tone at all times
- Communication and interpersonal skills must be of the highest professional quality
- A coachable attitude, ability to apply constructive feedback, strive to improve is a must
- A flexible and adaptable attitude is also needed as we adjust to student needs and grow as a University
- Collaborative skills and working well with both staff and students in such a way that creates a positive work environment
- Must be able to effectively deal with students and co-workers from diverse backgrounds
- Ability learn degree program information, admission and registration processes, and then guide students through the process
- Must be able to effectively carry out general administrative and clerical tasks, which may include, but are not limited to the use of MS Office software, information databases, email, handling phone inquiries, etc.
- Associate’s Degree required or equivalency in hours toward a Bachelor’s Degree
* 3-5 years of related advising or customer service experience may substituted for this education requirement. Applicants who substitute work experience to meet the education requirement must use additional related work relevant and related work experience to meet the years of "Required Work Experience" for this position. Please note that the University reserves the right to amend these terms of substitution at any time.
Required Work Experience
- Minimum of 1-2 years of related work experience. Preference will be given to candidates with college advising experience or customer service experience
General Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Include usual office conditions with day, evening and weekend work as needed to meet University needs.
- Must provide own transportation to and from work and to other locations as related to work assignments.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.?Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling. Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Commitment to Christian Faith:
All Amberton University employees are to be committed to a belief in Christianity and the beliefs taught in the New Testament of the Bible. While Amberton is non-denominational, its Christian commitment does recognize its unique role in education and believes that the principles of Christianity and academic excellence run parallel, not perpendicular.
To be considered, submit all of the following documentation: 1) employment application, 2) resume, 3) cover letter, and 4) list of references with current phone and email contact information via email or mail to:
ATTN: Monique McGregor
Director for Student Services
1700 Eastgate Drive Garland, TX 75041
Fax: (972) 613-7598