Critical Analysis of the MediaBack to Course Guide
How To Register
Talk to an Advisor
The course will offer students the opportunity to understand the source of information provided through the media. Emphasis will be placed on questioning and evaluating information received and applying the discipline of critical thinking to final analysis of that information.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Understanding the definition of media.
- Recognizing the various types of media.
- Defining “news”.
- Differentiating between news and entertainment programs.
- Questioning the source of news.
- Understanding how ratings affect decisions in broadcasting.
- Understanding the decision-making process in the media.
- Discussing the psychology of group motivation in news reporting.
- Analyzing the influence of other media on reporters.
- Examining the effects of news on the individual and family.
- Understanding how people process and deal with news.
- Discussing the media’s obligations to the public.
- Discussing emotional response theories relative to news.
- Analyzing social influences the media has on individuals.
- Understanding how social media affects our lives.
- Examining the changes the Internet has had on traditional media.