Cultural CommunicationBack to Course Guide
How To Register
Talk to an Advisor
The course allows students to analyze how cultural differences affect communication. Students study various cultures and compare and contrast them with the American culture.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Describing the American culture and differentiating it from other cultures.
- Identifying and describing the subcultures within the
- Explaining how core values affect cultures.
- Discussing how language influences cultures.
- Defining and discussing how culture affects the perception of reality.
- Determining the nonverbal differences among cultures.
- Identifying and discussing how nonverbal differences create misunderstanding.
- Examining sex role differences among cultures and discussing how these differences affect communication.
- Exploring and analyzing the family structures of specific cultures.
- Investigating how children are treated within cultures.
- Listing the beliefs of the world’s major religions.
- Comparing and contrasting world religions to determine how they impact cultures.
- Evaluating how religions influence communication and the values within cultures.
- Analyzing how cultures affect domestic and international business.
- Specifying how management can overcome cultural communication barriers.
- Comparing and contrasting communication patterns of Asians, Europeans, Latin Americans, North Americans, Africans, and Middle Easterners.
- Suggesting methods of cultural adaptation in business.