Advanced Counseling Skills and TechniquesBack to Course Guide
The course presents complex, multi-faceted interventions for individuals, families, groups, and organizations. Emphasis is given to conceptualization of cases with effective interventions. Students are expected to integrate learning from CSL6782. Applications for clinical and school settings are examined.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Evaluating and demonstrating the appropriate use of techniques associated with major counseling theories.
- Evaluating and demonstrating the appropriate use of techniques associated with selected alternative and emerging therapies.
- Demonstrating skills of referral, advocacy, and triage in crisis intervention cases.
- Identifying and understanding cultural specific issues, including gender, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic, and physically challenged individuals in schools and mental health settings.
- Developing effective leadership skills to plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive developmental counseling and guidance program that meets the needs of all learners.
- Defining the roles and functions of counselors in schools and mental health settings, and identifying common referral resources available to school and mental health counselors.
- Describing and analyzing the ethical, professional, and legal issues in the counseling and guidance profession.
- Demonstrating both basic and advanced helping skills.
- Demonstrating skill in the management of clinical and administrative documentation.
- Assessing for difficulties in the areas of addictive behavior, depression, suicidality and/or homocidality, and violent behavior.
- Demonstrating the ability to establish collaborative and appropriate therapeutic goals with clients.
- Understanding human development as it applies to school and non-school settings and developing a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program that encourages all learners to achieve their full potential.
- Effectively communicating and applying one’s evidenced-based personal counseling philosophy.
- Understanding advanced evaluation and ethical application of the various technologies associated with and emerging modalities for the provision of counseling services via telecounseling.