Advanced School Counseling PracticumBack to Course Guide
This course is designed for school counseling students to comply with TAC 228.35. This course allows for more extensive experiences for MA in School Counseling students. This course will enable students to be in a school counseling center for a complete school year cycle. This is commensurate with a complete field experience within the expectations of the Texas Education Agency. This course will offer extended field experiences in demonstrating the student’s ability to implement a comprehensive guidance program according to state requirements. A complete participation in the school calendar year offers a wider range of exposure to the four facets of the Texas Guidance Plan; guidance curriculum, response services, individual planning, and system support.
CSL6855 Practicum in School Counseling.
Upon Completion of the course, the student will be competent in:
- Applying chosen counseling theory to school students.
- Conceptualizing cases of school counseling in academic and behavioral situations.
- Applying advocacy and social justice principles to school counseling culture.
- Presenting school counseling interview portfolio.
- Identifying mental health and social service referral resources for school community.
- Evaluating ethical and legal standards within the school culture.
- Demonstrating understanding of diverse cultures in the school community.
- Incorporating peer supervision principles for consultation interaction.
- Identifying professional organizations that support the school counselor.
- Researching and presenting current topic(s) in school counseling.
- Identifying the differences in counseling, psychotherapy, and crisis counseling.
- Identifying school protocol for suicidal ideation and threats of violence.
- Participating in cohort supervision group.
- Demonstrating management of comprehensive school counseling program.
- Demonstrating successful counseling theory application.
- Demonstrating collaborative skills with school community stakeholders for student success.