Leadership and Team DevelopmentBack to Course Guide
How To Register
Talk to an Advisor
The course acquaints the student with processes to utilize interpersonal, conflict management, team building, and leadership skills to achieve objectives in a group. The primary objective of the course is to help students analyze the role of leadership and teams.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Assessing and developing skills of group development, leadership, teamwork, interpersonal relations, and conflict management needed to achieve group objectives.
- Developing and monitoring systems for promoting productive team activities within an organizational setting.
- Analyzing organizational environments to include both implicit and explicit structures of the organization as they influence the development and acceptance of teamwork.
- Influencing groups so that tasks, relationships, and individual needs are addressed.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of individual members and of groups in satisfying identified objectives.
- Identifying power structures that influence group interactions.
- Identifying individual conflict styles and tactics of the various participants within groups.
- Assessing conflict and tension within groups by using various assessment instruments.
- Differentiating between competitive and collaborative negotiations and facilitating principled negotiations for win-win solutions.
- Analyzing and discussing the major leadership and teaming theories and the leadership styles implicated by each.
- Assessing leadership style, its influences on others, and its effectiveness within specific groups.
- Evaluating the complexity of the leadership styles within organizations and determining how these styles influence organizational and group effectiveness.
- Judging the appropriateness and effectiveness of people’s interpersonal behaviors within groups.
- Maintaining communication that empowers individuals and relationships in the development of teams.
- Facilitating effective meetings with skills, tools, and strategies to meet specific purposes, audiences, and work environments.
- Utilizing collaborative processes that recognize the fundamental role played by basic values of both individuals and organizations.
- In-depth analysis and application of leadership ethics, gender leadership and organizational culture.
- Evaluating 21st-century leadership theories and global business implications.