Contemporary Management IssuesBack to Course Guide
This course provides students in-depth exposure to the skills necessary to manage an organization in today’s rapidly changing marketplace. The course will explore the general history and theory of the field of management. After reviewing the theories and foundations of the management field, students will investigate and discuss the changes and challenges in today’s global marketplace. A variety of crucial management skills will be addressed. Course topics include the history and theory of management, managing differences, personality type, Emotional IQ, motivation and appreciation in the workplace, contemporary management challenges, ethical considerations in management, how to manage rapidly changing technologies, relationship building, and managing using strength.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Understanding the role of the manager within the organization.
- Understanding how changes in the economy affect managers.
- Defining the importance of being able to adapt to today’s workplace challenges by creating an adaptive management style.
- Understanding how utilizing strengths can be a powerful management tool
- Discussing how being able to work with different personalities can be an asset to a manager
- Exploring gender differences and the need to adapt managerial approaches to those differences.
- Understanding how to conceptualize organizational needs in relation to change.
- Understanding how working with Emotional IQ can be a powerful management tool.
- Understanding how to motivate and appreciate employees.
- Understanding diversity within the workplace and how it affects managerial decision-making.
- Understanding ethics.
- Understanding the challenges of the entitled worker.
- Understanding the challenges of the unmotivated worker.
- Understanding the challenges of the overworked employee.