Human Resource ManagementBack to Course Guide
The course presents a systematic framework for analyzing and evaluating human resource management functions within an organization. Topics include hiring, training, compensation, benefits, employee relations/labor relations, performance management, safety, and health management. This course will review Human Resource Competencies in Early Career, Mid-Career, and Senior Career. Topics will also include key competencies in mandatory areas of Human Resource Management.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Assessing human resource management activities such as forecasting requirements workforce availability analysis, and talent requirements needed by an organization.
- Analyzing the legal environment surrounding human resource management functions.
- Analyzing the performance appraisal process, the methods used, and the problems encountered.
- Evaluating the strategic role for the human resources department and professionals, reviewing the competencies necessary in anticipating and preparing for future business needs.
- Reviewing competencies in Compensation and Benefits including the following: Creating a Flexible Workplace, Designing Incentives and Rewards, Discretionary Employee Benefits, Managing a Diverse Workforce, Aligning and Managing Work/Life Relations in Organizations, Managing a Salary Survey Project, and Total Rewards.
- Evaluating the competency in Employee Relations including the following: Managing and Responding to Poor Employee Performance, Managing Virtual Work Teams, Organizational Entry and Socialization, The Evolution of Human Resource Management, and Workplace Dispute Resolution.
- Analyzing Transformational Strategic Human Resources approach in Ethics, Organizational Strategy, and The Role of Mission and Values in Strategic Human Resources Management.
- Illustrating competency in Training and Development including the following: Conducting Needs Assessments, Return on Investment, Transfer of Training, Using Technology in Communication and Training.
- Summarizing Workforce Planning includes the following: Aging and Employment Strategies, Job Analysis based on Performance Appraisal, Performance Management, and Appraisal.
- Demonstrating the ability to manage interactions to support organizations and describing the ability to maintain productive relationships.
- Reviewing the ability to effectively exchange information with stakeholders, organizational leaders, and employees. This includes both verbal and written interactions and is the foundation on which relationships are built and maintained.
- Analyzing the integration of integrity and accountability through all organizational and business practices.
- Identifying HR practices focusing on fairness and justice for all people within the organization.
- Developing organizational ethical standards and creating HR systems that reinforce the organizations’ desired ethical climate.
- Assessing the new Human Resources competencies and competency model for the 21st century.
- Evaluating new organization initiatives, consulting, and then leading the implementation of those that receive approval.
- Applying the concepts related to critical evaluation competency to key roles and duties performed by Human Resources professionals.
- Reviewing solutions to potential obstacles to the successful implementation of organizational initiatives.
- Identifying how Human Resources leaders can be transformational leaders for the organization by leading change.
- Demonstrating the ability to apply business acumen in various contexts.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of Human Resources in Global and Cultural domains.