Operations AnalyticsBack to Course Guide
This course will provide the student with an overview and framework for understanding operations analytics principles, as well as an introduction to strategies that support the utilization of data to profitably match supply with demand through a given enterprise. The course outline will focus on contemporary operations analytics theories and best practices. Students will acquire knowledge of the tools, techniques, and processes needed to effectively employ operations analytics applications such as descriptive and predictive analytics, risk, uncertainty, and utilization of data mining tools.
The graduates of the Certification in Applied Business Analytics or the MBA/MS/MA with a concentration in Applied Business Analytics will be prepared to fulfill leadership roles in applying operations analytics to gain more transparency into their operations to support decision making in modern organizations.
This experimental course focuses on the theories, strategies, tools, methods, and applications that comprise the operations analytics body of knowledge. Students in this course will review seminal literature and evaluate operations analytics tools, techniques, knowledge, and skills. Course topics include the origins, philosophy, and best practices of operations analytics, along with operations analytics tools, techniques, and processes necessary to effectively employ applications such as various analysis matrices, operation structures, artificial intelligence, key performance indicators, data analysis software, network diagraming, cost analysis, and targeting.
PREREQUISITE: BUS3310 - Competitive Analysis (or its equivalent).
UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE, THE STUDENT WILL BE COMPETENT IN:
- Identifying and evaluating influential literature relevant to operations analytics topics
- Synthesizing and applying universal ethical principles to operations analytics in modern organizations
- Identifying, evaluating, and applying operations analytics principles and techniques within the context of the modern organization
- Understanding the implications of producing valuable insights for decision-making based on in-depth analyses of large amounts of internal and external data
- Discussing the importance of using operations analytics to create business value
- Understanding how to create and build an organization that prioritizes operations analytics in the decision-making process
- Analyzing, evaluating, and applying stakeholders’ feedback to prioritize and improve future operations analytics applications
- Analyzing, evaluating, and applying operations analytics best practices for effective and informed decision making in modern organizations
- Discussing the importance of the role the customer has in data analysis and decision-making
- Identifying and applying appropriate operations analytics tools and software to meet various strategic operational goals
- Discussing the importance of leveraging operations analytics data to better enable organizations to understand customer demands and needs
- Discuss the future of operations analytics and integration of artificial intelligence in analyzing big data
- Identifying, evaluating, and applying effective methods and techniques for digital operations analytics
- Understanding the difference and applicability between competitive intelligence and digital intelligence with respect to operations analytics