Master of Arts in Professional Counseling
Degree Plan Details
The Master of Arts in Professional Counseling is designed for persons interested in becoming Licensed Professional Counselors (L.P.C.) in the State of Texas. The degree prepares graduates to work with individuals, couples, families and groups in community, social service, religious and private practice settings. The curriculum is comprised of sixty (60) graduate hours and includes a minimum of 300 practicum hours. No student may enroll in a practicum course without completing all other degree requirements. Students who complete the program meet the academic requirements for becoming Licensed Professional Counselors (L.P.C.) in the State of Texas. The program is offered in the campus- based, classroom, lecture mode only.
A graduate with a Master of Arts in Professional Counseling will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the functional areas of professional counseling.
- Apply critical thinking skills in developing a framework for counseling diverse client populations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues in mental health and related settings.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct relevant research appropriate to the discipline.
The minimum requirements for a Master of Arts in Professional Counseling are:
- 48 semester hours applicable to the degree must be completed at Amberton University.
- 60 semester hours for a degree.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 is required.
|I. Required Graduate Studies:||3 Hours|
|RGS6035 Theory & Application of Research Methods||3 hours|
|II. Major Requirements||54 Hours|
|CSL6740 Counseling Ethics||3 hours|
|CSL6780 Professional Counseling
|CSL6782 Theories/Methods in Counseling
|CSL6765 Crisis Counseling
|CSL6801 Life Span Development||3 hours|
|CSL6796 Adult/Geriatric Psychopathology & Treatment||3 hours|
|CSL6803 Career Counseling/Guidance||3 hours|
|CSL6800 Counseling Assessment||3 hours|
|CSL6798 Child/Adolescent Psychopathology & Treatment||3 hours|
|CSL6805 Group Counseling/Therapy||3 hours|
|CSL6825 Marriage & Family Therapy||3 hours|
|CSL6770 Advanced Counseling Ethics||3 hours|
|CSL6832 Multicultural Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6760 Addiction Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6830 Advanced Counseling Skills & Techniques||3 hours|
|CSL6839 Pre-Practicum Professional Counseling||3 hours|
|CSL6840 Practicum I||3 hours|
|CSL6845 Practicum II||3 hours|
|III. Counseling Elective||3 Hour|