Graduate Admission Standards

Admission Standards Overview

Admission to Amberton University is a privilege not a right. Admission is granted only when, in the judgment of University officials, the applicant can benefit from our educational programs.

Admission Requirements:

A student seeking unconditional admission to Amberton University for graduate study will meet the following admission standards. Additional admission standards are required for students seeking formal admission to the Master of Arts - School Counseling Program.  See the 'Program Requirements' section below for more information. 

  1. Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  2. Proficient in the English language
  3. A mature adult with employment experience.
  4. Successful completion of earned bachelor’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university as evidenced by the submission of official transcripts.
  5. Students under 22 years of age and enrolled in campus classes must provide evidence of receipt of an initial bacterial meningitis vaccination dose or booster during the five-year period preceding and at least 10 days prior to the first day of the first semester in which the student initially enrolls at an institution, or following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester at the same or another institution.* Exceptions to this provision may be found at:


           *Does not apply to students enrolled in only online or distance education courses.

*** If Federal Financial Aid will be applied for, official transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions must be on file with Amberton prior to any consideration for awarding Title IV Financial Aid.

Service Member Re-Admission to the University

Admission to Amberton University is valid for three (3) years from date of last enrollment or acceptance to the University, whichever is later.  If a Service member is required to cease attending Amberton University due to military service requirements, their admission will remain valid for three (3) years from the last enrollment date.  If the Service member returns after three (3) years, they will be required to re-apply for admission. 

Program Requirements - Master of Arts School Counseling

The Master of Arts in School Counseling prepares students to satisfy academic requirements for the Professional School Counseling Certification in the State of Texas.  Students who seek formal admission to the MA-School Counseling must meet graduate admission standards as well as the requirements unique to this program.  The following information and processes must be completed and/or submitted for consideration of formal admission to the MA-School Counseling program:

1.  Complete Application for Admission to Amberton University.
2.  Complete School Counselor Certification Program Application.
3.  Provide official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.
4. 2.5 overall GPA required on most recent Bachelor's degree or higher or on most recent 60 hours. For students with less than a 2.5 GPA, please contact Program Director at
5.  Provide Valid State of Texas Teacher Certificate.
6.  Complete School Counseling Program Questionnaire.
7.  Submit payment of $55 non-refundable TEA Assessment Fee.

In addition, student’s District Service Record verifying two (2) creditable years teaching experience is required before enrolling in CSL6829 Pre-Practicum.  It is highly recommended that students have completed the teaching experience requirement prior to applying to the program.

For assistance in applying to the MA-School Counseling program or any of the University’s graduate programs, please speak with an advisor or email:  

Graduate Programs Meeting Academic Requirements for Licensure or Certification

Amberton University offers several graduate degrees that meet the academic requirements for various forms of licensure or certification in the state of Texas.  Students should become knowledgeable with the requirements for meeting any form of licensure or certification by referring to the state board or agency overseeing such licensure or certification.  Students should also be aware that having a criminal history may prevent licensure or certification.  Refer to the appropriate state board or oversight agency for more information on criminal history evaluations.

International Students (Non-U.S. Citizen/Non-Permanent Resident)

Amberton University is authorized under federal and state laws to enroll qualified international students seeking bachelor or master degrees. Amberton University will allow international students (non-U.S. citizens/non-permanent residents) to enroll in academic programs, if after evaluation, it is determined that the University can provide for the special and unique needs often presented by these students.

The international student must submit his/her application for admission, transcripts, and any other supporting documents before admission can be considered Any international student who requires Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) forms must supply all required documents at the time of requesting admission. Students needing assistance with ICE forms may speak with an advisor for more information and guidance. A processing fee is required of non-U.S. citizens/non-permanent residents at the time of application for admission.

International students must fulfill the following admission requirements for graduate admission:

  1. 21 years of age or older
  2. Proficient in the English language (reading, writing, speaking)*.
  3. Submission of Application for Admission along with non-refundable processing fee. Due to documentation requirements, the online application cannot be submitted by International students. A paper Application for Admission, along with all required supporting documentation, must be submitted to the University for processing.
  4. Successful completion of earned bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. regional association of colleges and schools as evidenced by the submission of official transcripts. Submit official transcripts of all colleges attended.
  5. For degrees earned outside of the United States, evidence that the academic work completed is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Transcripts must be evaluated course by course by a NACES approved evaluation service, such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), World Education Services, Inc (WES ICAP evaluation) or SpanTran Educational Services (Divisional Course by Course) before evaluation and processing by Amberton University.
  6. Students subject to Immigration and Customs Enforcement regulations must:
    • Have attended at a U.S. institution within the past 5 months and be “in-status” with ICE and SEVIS.
    • Submit all required documents as specified in the Amberton University International Student Required Document List along with the Application for Admission and processing fee.

    *The ability to read, write, speak, and understand English is vital for success at Amberton University. If applicant’s native language is not English and the applicant has been educated outside of the United States in a non-English speaking country, s/he must demonstrate English proficiency. Proficiency may be demonstrated by:

  7. Submitting an acceptable Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination score. At the time of enrollment, the test score must be less than two years old. Minimum test scores are as follows:
    • 80 TOEFL IBT (Internet-based test)
    • 550 TOEFL (Paper-based test)
    • 215 TOEFL (Computer-based test)
  8. A personal interview with Amberton University staff to determine applicant’s ability to communicate effectively in English. Professional experiences and work history may be considered when evaluating English proficiency.
  9. Due to ICE course load requirements and regulations, graduate international students will only be permitted to complete one of the following Master degree programs:

Course Load And Student Status

The number of courses a student should take during a session must be determined by the individual based upon work obligations, family needs, and other commitments. However, a graduate student may not enroll for more than nine semester hours without an advisor’s approval. A full-time graduate student is one taking six or more hours in a session.


Grades are mailed to students at the end of each session. The following grades are used with the grade point value per semester hour of credit:

Grade MarksGraduateGrade Points
A Greater than 91 4.0
B Greater than 81 3.0
C Greater than 71 2.0
D Greater than 61 1.0
F Less than 62 0.0
I Incomplete Not counted
R Repeated Course Not counted
W Withdrew Not counted

An "I" which is not properly removed within 30 days following the session enrolled will become an "F" grade. Incomplete grades are given when an illness or emergency prevents the student from completing course requirements. Any appeal for a grade change must be made within 30 days of the last class day of the session.

The student's grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of hours attempted (not the number of hours passed) at Amberton University. For repeated courses at Amberton, the most current grade will be the grade of record.

Academic Performance Of A Student

Each student has the opportunity to continue his/her education at Amberton University as long as he/she is making satisfactory academic progress and is complying with all University rules. The student's cumulative grade point average is computed at the end of each session. Graduate students must maintain a grade point average of at least 3.00 to remain in good standing.

If a student fails to meet these standards, he/she will be placed on academic probation. If he/she fails to meet these standards during the session on probation, he/she may be suspended from the University. A student suspended from the University for Poor Academic Performance will remain suspended until the Vice President for Academic Services approves a written appeal for readmission.

Applying For Graduation/Candidacy

It is the graduate student’s responsibility to make application for graduation/candidacy status. To be granted graduation/candidacy status for a graduate degree, the student must have: (1) provided the University with all required official transcripts, (2) removed any conditions of admission, (3) completed all requirements for the degree being sought, and (4) attained a 3.0 or better grade point average for all graduate work completed. Application forms for graduation/candidacy status are available in the Student Services Office as well as on the university web site. No graduate student will be entitled to graduate who has not properly requested and received graduation/candidacy status.

Graduate Degree Requirements

General Requirements For All Degrees

The following general requirements apply to all masters’ degrees:

  1. The minimum amount of work beyond the bachelor's degree required for a master's degree is 36 semester hours excluding any prerequisite courses that may be required.
  2. All courses taken to satisfy course requirements for a master's degree must be taken at the graduate level.
  3. Twenty-four (24) semester hours applicable to the degree must be completed at Amberton University.
  4. The student must have a minimum grade point average of 3.00.
  5. A grade of D may not be applied toward a graduate degree.
  6. The student will be allowed to graduate by meeting the requirements for the degree in force at the time of initial enrollment, provided the student is within twenty-four (24) hours of graduating and completes no less than twelve (12) hours per year.

Transfer Of Credits From Another Institution

Both qualitative and quantitative considerations are in¬volved in the transfer of credits from another institution. There is no automatic transfer of credits toward a degree at Amberton University. University officials will carefully evaluate work considered for transfer from other accredited schools. Only work from official transcripts (registrar's original signature and college seal) will be considered for transfer from other accredited schools recognized by Amberton University. Official electronic transcripts will be accepted from the educational institution or an approved third-party transcripting service. Electronic transcripts can be emailed to Electronic transcripts from students or unapproved third-parties will not be accepted by Amberton University All official academic transcripts to be considered for transfer credit must be submitted during the first session's enrollment. Students who fail to submit official transcripts during the first session's enrollment may not be able to use transfer work as credit toward a degree.

Military courses that are evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) as equivalent to graduate level work are treated in the same manner as transferred credit. The number of credits awarded for courses recommended by ACE is at the discretion of Amberton University but will not exceed 12 semester hours.

Graduate Transfer Credits

Assuming work is allowed to transfer from an accredited institution, the following guidelines will be followed:

  1. Transfer work from another regionally accredited institution will be evaluated upon admission.
  2. No grade below B will be accepted as transfer work.
  3. Individual courses will be accepted, but no grade points. Each Amberton University transfer student will begin with a new grade point average.
  4. No more than twelve (12) hours maximum will be allowed in transfer toward a graduate degree.
  5. All work allowed in transfer to Amberton University on a graduate level must be directly related to courses offered at Amberton University.
  6. Graduate hours will not be evaluated for transfer until the official transcript of the bachelor's degree is received.
  7. The age of transfer work may influence transferability. Generally, work completed over six (6) years ago is not accepted.  

Graduate Degree Plans

Prior to or during the first session of enrollment at Amberton University, the student must have official transcripts with the undergraduate degree posted as well as official transcripts for any previous graduate hours completed sent to the University. Graduate hours will not be evaluated for transfer until the official transcript of the bachelor’s degree is received.

Each transcript received will be evaluated for Amberton University course equivalence, and a copy of the evaluation, the “Transfer of Credit Report" (TCR), will be provided to the student. The TCR will reflect both graduate hours accepted in transfer as well as program prerequisites that have been satisfied based upon the graduate major program declared by the student.

For degree advising purposes, students can have Amberton University transcripted work and all transfer work electronically evaluated against any degree in the Catalog. The Electronic Degree Plan (EDP) produces an evaluation of satisfied degree requirements as well as requirements which may be deficient relative to the degree selected. The EDP allows a student to compare his/her academic accomplishments against any or all degrees in the Catalog. The EDP is available through the “Student Services Online” option in the Student Portal or by contacting an advisor in Student Services.

Graduate Degree Program Methods Of Delivery

    Classroom DL*
MA Christian Counseling
MA Professional Counseling
MA Professional Development
MA School Counseling  
MBA General Business √ 
MBA International Business
MBA Management
MBA Project Management
MBA Strategic Leadership
MS Family Studies
MS Human Relations & Business 
MS Human Resource Training &
MS Managerial Science

* Distance learning degree programs are available via the Internet with no on-campus attendance required. Admission requirements of the University must be satisfied. 

Graduate Residency Requirements

In order to meet residency requirements for a graduate degree, the student must complete 24 hours in residency at Amberton University.

Requirements For A Second Degree

Students may not pursue more than one degree simultaneously.  Only one degree may be earned at a time.

Students seeking a second graduate degree must contact the Academic Services Office to request a Second Degree Plan before beginning classes for the second degree.

Students Who Have Completed a Master’s Degree from Another University

A student holding a master’s degree from an externally accredited graduate institution must complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) approved hours in residency for the second master’s degree.

Students Who Have Completed a Master’s Degree at Amberton University

Students who hold a master’s degree from Amberton University must complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) approved hours in residency for an additional master’s degree. None of the hours completed during enrollment of the first degree may be used to satisfy the twenty-four (24) hour minimum for a second degree at Amberton University. No grade below B will be accepted toward a second master’s degree. However, the following exceptions to the twenty-four (24) hour requirement may be allowed. An exception may be available to counseling students who have completed one of the following degrees at Amberton University

  • Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy,
  • Master of Arts in Professional Counseling,
  • Master of Arts in School Counseling.

Such students may earn the Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy, the Master of Arts in Professional Counseling or the Master of Arts in School Counseling and may not be required to satisfy the twenty-four hour requirement; however, they must satisfy, in residency, all current degree requirements for the degree being pursued. Additional program admission requirements must be met before a student may pursue the Master of Arts in School Counseling as a second degree.

An exception may also be available to business students who have completed one of the following degrees at Amberton University:

  • Master of Business Administration in Project Management
  • Master of Science in Agile Project Management.

Such students may earn the Master of Business Administration in Project Management or the Master of Science in Agile Project Management and may not be required to satisfy the twenty-four (24) hour requirement; however, they must satisfy, in residency, all current degree requirements for the degree being pursued.

Great! Wait! Let's Get You the Info You're Looking For.

Advisors can help provide you answers.

972-279-6511 972-279-6511

Flexible In-Person Options Designed for Working Adults


Conveniently Online